Saturday, August 2, 2008

And one more thing.....

On a different note.....



We went to a fundraiser for a little boy Ryan's age who has a heart condition that will require him to have surgery. The surgery requires him to go to Maryland(?) and it is surgery to repair his heart. This is major surgery with major costs.



I explained to Ryan that we would be going to this fundraiser and he began to ask a lot of questions. I tried to answer honestly and age appropriately with sayings things like,



" There is a little boy your age that needs surgery and we are going to go help give money towards his surgery."



"What kind of surgery(in his cute pronunciation of it) is it momma?"



"Well, it is to help his heart." [looks perplexed and begins to think]



"Daddy, I want you to explain to me exactly what they have to do to his heart."

(I was both impressed at his question and offended that apparently his daddy needed to be the one to answer him - oh well, better him than me I suppose)



[long explanation by daddy]



"Well, I want to help."



"Well we are going to help by going to the fundraiser and giving money."



"No, I want to give the little boy something. Maybe something he can play with while he is in the hospital. Can we visit him in the hospital?"



"Well he isn't in the hospital but we will see him tonight so if you'd like to pick something to give him we could do that."



"Ok but I want to help him play with it in the hospital. Let me go get my set and we can play together."



- You get the idea - we spent a lot of the ride explaining we weren't going to the hospital and he would not be allowed to play with him at the hospital but he did choose a Lego set to give the little boy and he gave it him himself. The little boy was so excited to receive it! His mom told us that while the hospital has a lot of toys they don't have Legos and he would love it.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Okay, I just adore your little man! He has one of the kindest hearts I have ever met. You and Neal are blessed, as are we for knowing him. Thanks...my heart needed a warming story this morning!